Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Exhaust delete

As mentioned previously, the sound of the stock Z is pleasing but too muted for my taste. Now what I’m after is not the boy-racer screaming down the street “look at me” auditory overload but more a communicative tone that speaks to me and will put a smile on my face when I shift gears. An aftermarket exhaust is a possibility but I’m still doing my research here but it must be noted that again, it appears that the Nissan engineers did their homework and produced a very efficient stock system. It’s reported that at most, an aftermarket exhaust will yield a messily 6-10hp equating to one of the worst “bangs for the buck”when moding a Z. The only plus side for swapping out the stock exhaust would be to attain a light weight system or seek a more aggressive tone. So, for the interim I went for a quick fix and deleted the resonator. I’m loving the high pitched rasp that goes in hand with the VQ engine tone even though other Z owners look down upon this mod. Have a listen here:

So basically I now have a straight pipe from the Y-pipe to the muffler. My next exhaust modification will be to replace the Y-pipe with one from a new HR motor and change out the muffler to a less restrictive, lighter one. I’m not going to touch the cats and mess with the emissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment